Why do we celebrate
Sing With Your Child Month?
Music Together families all over the world know that it doesn’t have to be a special occasion to sing and dance. So, why do we need Sing With Your Child Month? We think that families making music together is something to celebrate!
As parents, you want to do everything you can to help your children grow into loving, confident adults. When you sing and make music as a family, you gain a whole new way to communicate and form everlasting, joyful memories. Plus, actively making music nurtures your child’s creativity, self-expression, and confidence and supports their social, emotional, cognitive, and physical development. The best news? It doesn’t require special skills or “musical talent,” just a love of music and a desire to have fun!
The impact of singing and making music with your child is immeasurable, and the rewards of this simple act will help us make the world a much better place. So, sing a song, grab a drum (or a plastic bowl and wooden spoon!) and join us in celebrating Sing With Your Child Month this March.
What songs make your family want to join in? Share them with us!
- On Facebook, share 3 songs that are guaranteed to get your family up singing and dancing. Post as your status: "The 3 songs that always get my family to join in are . . . " Then tag 3 of your friends and challenge them to make their own lists! Don’t forget to tag “Music Together LLC” and use the hashtag #SingMonth2015. Everyone who creates a list will be entered to win a prize (instruments from our store and copies of our award-winning Singalong Storybooks).
Combine music, reading, and coloring and share your child’s artwork in our gallery!
- To celebrate the release of our tenth Singalong Storybook, Two Little Blackbirds, we’ve created three new coloring pages using the book’s beautiful artwork. Download the page of your choice, then submit a photo of your child’s artwork (or of them proudly displaying it!), and we’ll add it to our gallery and enter you into a drawing to win a copy of the book. Share your photo on Facebook with the hashtag #SingMonth2015 for an extra raffle entry.
Bring music into your storytime.
- Check out this video on how you can bring music into your reading time.
Here are some more easy ideas you might try.
- Substitute your Music Together songbook for your child’s before-bed book one night this week.
- Turn the CD off in the car and sing all the songs you can remember without it!
- Ask your child’s grandparents what their favorite lullabies were and ask them to teach you and sing it together.
- Sing a song in a place you wouldn't normally sing (like at the grocery store).
Have a musical play date this month!
- Music activities are perfect for play dates! This month, try one of the musical games developed by Music Together teachers. If you try any of them, share your photos and videos with us on social media using the hashtag #SingMonth2015.
We are so excited to announce the release of our 10th Singalong Storybook, Two Little Blackbirds, based on the beloved song from the upcoming Triangle Song Collection (Spring 2015). In this delightful book, the "Two Little Blackbirds" are named Jack and Jill. They fly away and return over and over as they build their nest, hatch their eggs, and teach their babies to fly. This 32-page, beautifully illustrated storybook inspires singing, pre-literacy learning, and imaginative play between children and adults.
Available in both hardcover and board-book formats, the book includes fun activity suggestions designed to stimulate learning and music-making, both at home and in the classroom. A download of the song comes with each storybook. Click here to learn more.
Sing, Read, and Color!
Check out the three Two Little Blackbirds coloring pages. Click on the image to view and print each out.
Enter to Win!
Download the page of your choice, then submit a photo of your child’s artwork (or of them proudly displaying it!) below, and we’ll add it to our gallery and enter you into a contest to win a copy of the book. Share your photo on Facebook with the hashtag #SingMonth2015 for an extra raffle entry.