Music Together is an internationally recognized early childhood music program for babies, toddlers, preschoolers, kindergarteners, first and second graders, and the adults who love them. First offered to the public in 1987, it pioneered the concept of a research-based, developmentally appropriate early childhood music curriculum that strongly emphasizes and facilitates adult involvement.
Music Together classes are based on the recognition that all children are musical. All children can learn to sing in tune, keep a beat, and participate with confidence in the music of our culture, provided that their early environment supports such learning. By emphasizing actual music experiences rather than concepts about music, Music Together introduces children to the pleasures of making music instead of passively receiving it from CDs or TV.
Central to the Music Together approach is that young children learn best from the powerful role model of parents/caregivers who are actively making music. The program brings families together by providing a rich musical environment in the classroom and by facilitating family participation in spontaneous musical activity at home within the context of daily life.
Music Together is committed to helping families, caregivers, and early childhood professionals rediscover the pleasure and educational value of informal music experiences. All our teachers have successfully completed Music Together’s training program. Music Together applies the latest research in early childhood music development to the program. A curriculum pioneer since 1987.
Music Together was founded with the goal of providing the highest quality music and movement experiences to as many young children as possible, involving their parents, primary caregivers and early childhood professionals in the educational process. Music Together is therefore dedicated to the thorough and professional support of Music Together licensees and teachers and their work with children and families. This support includes training, business mentoring, networking services, national and regional promotion, customer referrals, business technology, ongoing research and development, the production of audio, video and print materials, and the distribution of musical instruments and related products.
Music and Movement Programs for Families
- Children ages birth through seven—and the grownups who love them
- Mixed-age, Babies, and Big Kids classes
- Parent education and adult involvement
- Music learned through playful, developmentally appropriate activities
- Non-performance-oriented environment
- Research-based curriculum
- A welcoming experience for children with special needs
- A new CD and songbook each semester
A Music Curriculum for Early Learning Settings
- Comprehensive, research-based music curriculum for preschools, childcare centers, kindergarten classrooms, and other settings serving children birth through seven
- Professional development for classroom teachers
- Family- and classroom-tested materials for classrooms and students
- Family engagement, including award-winning materials for home use
A Tool for Allied Health Professionals
- Flexible model that allows music therapists and other clinicians to use curriculum in support of therapeutic goals
- Customizable supplemental materials
Teacher Training and Support
- Music educators/music lovers/preschool teachers/childcare providers/parents
- Opportunities to offer Music Together at licensed centers and schools
- Training offered worldwide
More Materials to Support Music-making at Home
- Instrument-play material
- Singalong Storybook series: books based on favorite Music Together songs
- Family Favorites CDs
The Joy of Family Music® since 1987