|Classes > What Parents Say
What do parents think of the program?
Parent # 1:
" I highly recommend the Music Together classes which I have been taking with my 14 month old daughter. Though I have been a musician, dancer and singer for years and started sharing these with my baby before she was born, I have learned a lot from these classes about how to bring these dimensions of the human adventure into her world in a way that is fun for both of us (and in a way that avoids the traumas of my own childhood music education).
The things I particularly like about the Music Together program include, in no particular order:
1) The teacher is fun, down to earth, musically adept, welcoming, playful, respectful and inclusive of each person there.
2) The singing and playing of rhythm instruments is always done for joy and adventure of it and is not associated IN ANY WAY with "performance" or doing it "right". We are making music together - no child (or adult!) is put on the spot to perform in front of others. I guess I would say that the atmosphere is one of celebration rather than performance.
3) The music making is almost always accompanied by movement- marching, dancing with beautiful scarves, shaking various rhythm instruments, etc. I've learned a lot about how to create such whole-body-music-expression for my child. The best musicians also dance, the best dancers are also musicians. I want not just her fingers and brain to hear and play music but for it to be part of her core sense of Self. I want her to both feel joy and to know how to express that fully and articulately, thus my delight in gaining tools at Music Together for sharing this with my daughter at home. This is where I learned how to translate what I wanted to share with her into toddler-ese.
4) The classes are both fun for me as an adult, and age appropriate for the toddlers on up in our class.
5) I like the variety of instruments, etc. that we all (kids and adults) play in each class and I like the variety of colors of things we use. (scarves, music books, etc.)
6) I like the music as well as the variety. I am particularly fond of interesting rhythms, such as the Balkan music and crooked French Canadian tunes.
7) I like the other parents in the class and the location with easy parking.
8) I also like that if I miss class, I can make it up on another day, as there are classes offered several mornings each week.
Parent # 2:
"I am a mother of two small children (boy- 4 1/2, girl - 2 1/2) and moved to the Bay Area from New York City a little less then 3 years ago. I have participated in Music Together, Kindermusik, and Kids In Tune with one or both of my children since my oldest was 15 months, (late start, I discovered).
I highly recommend Music Together for kids 0-4 (some even older still enjoy this method of music explanation). I found it to be the most engaging nurturing and fun way to develop both rhythmically and tonally. As a participating parent I developed my own musical understanding and range.I have been learning how to encourage my kids without being pushy and to spot developmental landmarks.
The process also got my husband to sing and even pull out his old guitar! Our enjoyment of the program has encouraged the kids to pursue their own creative music making. Even the little one is starting to "compose" as well as mimic all she hears.
All of these programs encourage you to play at home and not to expect your child to "perform" in class. I found it true with all the programs that kids will exhibit MUCH more of their understanding outside of the class, but my kids displayed more enjoyment during class at Music Together sessions than at any of the other programs for children that age.
Nancy M. Thorpe
Music Together Parent
Music Together of Princeton:
Just a friendly note to thank all those involved in this wonderful music program for children. We have been attending this class for 2 semesters and will continue for many more to come. A special thanks to my daughter's teacher, Miss Linda, who gives every child individual attention which makes each one feel special and inspired.
Music Together has made the car rides a pleasure. Like most typical 23 month olds, my daughter, Valerie Lyn loves going places but hates long car rides. We turned to music to sooth and calm her. Before enrolling in Music Together we had few musical options which only appeased her for a short time. Now whether its' a trip to the mall or a visit to the grandparents, Valerie yells from her seat, "Class! Class!"...her request for the Music Together CD. The music keeps her happy for the whole trip.
Thanks again Music Together for touching our daughter's life in such a wonderful way.
Nancy M. Thorpe Burlington, NJ
Music Together parent
An alternative way to participate in Music Together
"My son Marc, almost 3, who often refuses to participate while at his Music Together class, more than makes up for it at home. He sings all the songs and does all the movements when class is over. One day Marc told me, his Mommy, that he wanted to "play" Music Together. He would be the teacher and I would be in his class. He started by picking up his harmonica and blowing a note (just like his teacher Jamie does with her tuner before songs). Then he began the "Hello" song with the words modified to his own taste:
'Hello everybody So glad to see you
Hello to the cranes So glad to see you
Hello to the flatbeds So glad to see you
Hello to the dump trucks:' (Marc loves trucks.)
In the meantime, I am playing along using any number of Marc's instruments (tambourine, drums, etc). and I start a new song. Marc, "the teacher", is not happy with my choice and starts singing "instruments away, instruments away:" I guess he really has been paying attention in class after all!"
Lynn Damato, Bridgewater, NJ
Music Together parent
Why do you recommend this program?
I would enthusiastically recommend this program to others because it's fun, it's well organized and it's aimed at the right level of toddlers and preschoolers. Also both the musical selections and the activities are varied enough to make each class different and exciting within a consistent structure. Finally, Laura, and Mirko are responsive to the kids and clearly enjoy making music.
Suzie Galvin, Brookline, MA
Music Together Parent
Just completed our first semester...
Both my daughter and I have just completed our first semester of Music Together and I thought you might benefit from hearing the positive impact it has already had in our lives.
· Rita, 6 months old, loved the music and rocked in time to certain favorites. After just a few classes, we attended a wedding. As soon as the band started to play she pointed and looked at the dance floor and danced until they stopped! My relatives were astounded that she could already rock and bounce in rhythm
· At home we listen to all types of music frequently and interact in various ways. When she hears songs from Music Together, she smiles at me with gleeful anticipation. This is her signal that it is special time with Mommy.
· I can't thank Music Together enough for providing us with such engaging and fun songs. They have come in handy for many long car trips. The interactive activities easily became car games and kept us both happy and singing for hundreds of miles.
· We are now involved in our second session and Rita thoroughly enjoys the classes. There is always something new to explore and to develop as she grows both musically and physically. The first session she could only physically play the egg shakers, rock, and "sing." Now she can beat the drum and play a key board using index fingers. Currently, she is working on beating sticks in time. As she gains better control of her motor skills, she will find an entire world of instruments to explore!
Coming to class is fun. As soon as we enter the building my daughter becomes VERY excited. It's such a pleasure to watch her develop musically and I've also recognized my own hidden musical talents surfacing! We both eagerly await the next session!
Jennifer Spoelker, Princeton, NJ
Music Together Parent
When my daughter Kennedy was 1 year old, she had extreme stranger anxiety. She cried in every environment: her grandparent's house, the grocery store, family birthday parties, etc... If someone, relative or stranger, even looked at her, she broke into tears. It was so trying on both her and my husband and I, that we stopped taking her places. We arranged our plans so that one of us would be at home with her at all times, rarely leaving the house.
Eventually we realized that we were not helping Kennedy by keeping her at home. Sheltering her avoided her stranger anxiety, but it did nothing to resolve it. We knew we had to do something to help Kennedy feel more comfortable in strange situations. We enrolled in both gymnastics and Music Together when Kennedy was 18 months old. Our first day at gymnastics was filled with tears. Our first day at Music Together was unbelievable! Kennedy was hesitant at first, but by the end of the class she was moving around the room with the rest of the children. Believe me when I tell you, my husband and I were not exactly thrilled with singing and dancing in front of these other people. But, we were thrilled with the immediate change in our daughter.
Kennedy is 2 years old now, and we have participated in 2 Music Together sessions (Margaret Miller, Instructor). The effect your program has had on her is simply amazing: she is a completely different child. Singing and dancing are a large part of every day. Now, as we navigate the grocery store aisles, she sings just to get the attention of other people. She even loves going to gymnastics class.
We attended an anniversary party this past weekend, during which Kennedy spent most of the evening as the center of attention in the middle of the dance floor. When so many people commented on how friendly and out-going my child was, I knew it was time to thank you. Your program has given my daughter the confidence she needed to feel secure in any environment.
Music Together parent
Dear Ms. Ransom:
I have taken and enjoyed several Music Together classes with my son, beginning with the Babies Class when he was just 3 months old. My son and I have a wonderful time and really enjoy the teachers, the music and the group interaction.
Recently, my son and I enrolled in our fourth class here in Trenton, and recruited 6 of our friends and neighbors with their children as well. It is just wonderful. The teacher, Heather, is great and Marcia Wood, and Ellen Saxon, the school directors, are wonderful promoters of the school and the opportunities for music here in Trenton.
Lisa Kasaback, Trenton, NJ